Friday, April 3, 2009

Genesis 22

Good morning dear ladies. I am praying for you this morning. Today I am going to post something I wrote after our 3rd loss, which was in 2005. I pray the writing ministers to your hurting heart today. God's Word is active and alive for you today - May His Word be healing balm to your hurting heart today. If you would like to read the entire Genesis 22 passage online, you may read it here.

I have often marveled at the Biblical account in Genesis 22 of Abraham being asked by God to sacrifice his beloved, long awaited son, Isaac. As I read it at the time of this writing, I am in the midst of a third pregnancy loss – a third precious baby I will not meet until I get to heaven. In a sense, the third Isaac I’ve had to sacrifice.

As I read Genesis 22, I am amazed that after God’s request, Abraham promptly and immediately obeys – verse three says “Early the next morning Abraham got up and saddled his donkey.” How quick am I to obey in the hard things in life? Abraham’s example is humbling and challenging to me.

When I look at the great effort Abraham’s obedience took, I am humbled. Abraham himself cut the wood on which his son would be sacrificed (v3). He, Isaac, and two servants (v3) traveled for three days (v4). Obedience was not only an emotional action, it took much physical preparation.

Verse four tells us that Abraham said to his servants to stay with the donkey while he and Isaac go to worship. He tells them “we will worship and then we will come back to you” (my emphasis). Abraham had faith that God would make a way to fulfill His promise to Abraham from Genesis seventeen. Abraham trusted God’s word and obeyed even when God’s request appeared contradictory to God’s promise to Abraham in making a great nation through the line of Isaac. Abraham trusted God’s plan.

I continue reading in Genesis 22 that Abraham built the alter, arranged the wood, and bound his son and lay him on the alter. It overwhelms me with his obedience. He takes out his knife to slay his son. Abraham was fully directed towards total obedience in a very difficult request.

Chapter 22 continues with God sending an angel who exclaims “Abraham! Abraham! Do no lay a hand on Isaac.” Abraham immediately saw God’s purpose in His request in this situation. Although God’s purposes for our trials are usually not immediate, God still requires obedience of me. 1Samuel 15:22-23 says:

"Does the LORD delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices
as much as in obeying the voice of the LORD ?
To obey is better than sacrifice,
and to heed is better than the fat of rams.

God sees our hearts and expects a heart of obedience to Him. The act of obedience (perhaps sacrificing) is the action, but God looks at the heart in the action.

As I reflect on my heart and actions, I am convicted of four questions come out of Genesis 22:

  1. Do I immediately obey?
  2. Do I take great effort to obey?
  3. Do I trust in God’s plan, especially when it seems in opposition to my plan? Do I trust in God’s plan when it seems in opposition to what I imagine His plan will be?
  4. Am I prepared to make the hard sacrifice?

The account of Abraham is a humbling, yet healing example for me as I mourn the recent loss of our baby. Romans 8:32 says “He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all, how will he also, along with him, graciously give us all things?” God gave his Son, Jesus Christ, to give us the hope of eternal life. And as I reflect on that great promise, I am reminded that I have at least three precious children whom I will one day meet in heaven. In the meanwhile, I put aside those earthly hopes and dreams for those children, and I look forward to the day I will meet them in heaven.

November 2005

No comments:

Post a Comment