Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Romans 8:28 Part 2 God's Plan is Beneficial

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him,who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28


In Part I, we looked at who God's promise of all things working out for good in Romans 8:28. The next four posts will look at four promises for those Christians who have a purpose from the Lord. Those four parts are:

1. God's Plan is Beneficial.

2. God's Plan is Active.

3. God's Plan is Inclusive.

4. God's Plan is Harmonious.

**Please note that these four points are from the book Spiritual Maturity by J. Oswald Sanders - you can find it here.


Now that we know the "who" of Romans 8:28, let’s look at the "what" – what does God promise in the beginning of this verse – I am amazed at how much richness is in just six words – “All things work together for good.”


All things work together for good.


Let’s first focus on “for good” right now. J. Oswald Sanders spends much time in this chapter about what “good” means. What do you think of when you think of a “good” day? I think of my kids behaving well – being loving to each other. I think of my house being clean (and staying clean) all day. I think of lovely weather – of doing something fun with my kids during the day with no conflict involved. I think of lovely family time after my husband arrives and a well cooked meal that was planned weeks ahead of time on my menu plan. I think of no money problems - no recession. No work stress in my husband's life. I think of no stress in family relationships. I think of serving God and all around me working harmoniously. Most of my “good” (if I were in charge of the universe, which thankfully I am not) surrounds lack of conflict, no work, ease, comfort, and pleasure.


I have heard it said that Christians from lower economic parts of our world who visit the US claim that US Christians are so impoverished in their spirituality due to the comforts we enjoy in our culture –comforts we grow to expect and subtly accept as being the norm for those who love and follow the Lord. This way of thinking is not how God views the concept of "good" in the lives of His children. We live in a culture that wants it and wants it now (which has led to the recession, but that's a topic for another posting another day).


Websters defines "good" in the following ways (I am not listing them all due to how many definitions there are for "good") - "possessing desirable qualities; adapted to answer the end designed; promoting success, welfare, or happiness; serviceable; useful; fit; excellent; admirable; commendable; not bad, corrupt, evil, noxious, offensive, or troublesome, etc."


In researching Romans 8:28, I have found two different Greek words for "good." One word is "kalos" - this is a good which is appearance related - "what is beautiful, or what looks good, outward goodness, outward beauty, surface good;" however, the Greek word used for "good" which Paul uses in Romans 8:28 is "agathon" - which means "good in the purest and truest sense." God is concerned with the inside - not the outside. He is creating an internal beauty that no easy life can create. God is working out His agathon - His good.


Paul, the writer of Romans suffered greatly. He spent much time in jail. He did not receive creature comforts while in jail. He had people who were seeking his end everywhere he went. 2 Timothy 2:10 says "Therefore I endure everything for the sake of the elect, that they too may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus, with eternal glory." He suffered and continued on so that more could know the plan of salvation - so more could know the Lord Jesus Christ as savior.


Paul also says in Phlippians 3:7-9 "But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith."


Paul knew full well what suffering meant. Yet, his seeing the Lord working out good in Paul's life - the fruit of Paul's ministry to others - he saw the Lord working out Paul's sufferings for good. I am sure that it took time. How do you think he felt the first time he went to jail? How do you think he felt the first time he heard someone was out to kill him due to his spreading the gospel? Yet, God equipped Paul through Paul's sufferings for the work God had for Paul to do. God had work in Paul's time (evangelizing then) and beyond Paul's time (the scriptures God wrote through Paul) which God prepared Paul to do.


God is preparing you for work He has for you to do. Now, each person's work is different. And God can grow you for multiple works during a trial. In my case, as I look back on the past 11 years since our first loss, I see how God has used suffering to grow my love for God and His Word. God has used my suffering to grow me to be a better mom (who is still in need of growth there and in process). God has used my suffering to reveal sin in my heart. God has used my suffering to pass on God's compassion to those who are hurting. God's purpose can cover multiple areas of your life for now and for down the road.


I encourage you today to seek out learning about God's agathon - His good. Ask the Lord to give you His comfort, His peace in this process of growing and learning. Look to the anchored hope that is only from the Lord. I pray that today you are able to see glimpses of that hope - that agathon - that good - He is working in your life.


I am praying for you. Have you memorized Romans 8:28 yet? Print it out - put it in your pocket - tape it to your bathroom mirror. Write "agathon" down and place it around your house - perhaps someone will inquire to its meaning and you can share about what you are learning about God's goodness today.







No comments:

Post a Comment