Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Romans 8:28 Part 1

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him,who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28


Romans 8:28 is a verse I hear quoted frequently in the Christian community. When I ponder our past losses, I remember things friends said – dear friends – some who had not had a loss – and sometimes from friends who have had losses. It’s a cliché that often pops out of the mouth of caring sisters in Christ. “It was not God’s Will” – well, obviously it was not God’s Will for the baby to live; otherwise, it would have lived – sometimes I wanted to scream that in their face – obviously I did not and obviously they did not intend to say something that did not help me in my grief. I often encourage those who are grieving to continually give their friends grace. Overlook well meaning things people say that don't really help.


Yet God's Word is full of healing balm for your grieving soul. Romans 8:28 is full of the richness – of the fullness of God and His plan – His hope. Let’s look at it more closely today.


Before I break down this passage, let me reference a book that I just started reading with a group of ladies at church. It’s title is Spiritual Maturity by J. Oswald Sanders. Chapter one “The Overruling Providence of God” is where I am getting this content in regards to Romans 8:28. If you’d like to purchase a copy, I like to use Christianbook.com – here is the link for this book on their site.


First, let’s focus on the “who” of this verse. Who is it that things work out for the good? Is this something every person on earth can claim? This verse does not mean that everything works out for the good of everyone. No, it says “for the good of those who love him” and those “who have been called according to his purpose.”


“For the good of those who love him” shows us that those people who love God and are in relationship with God are those people whom this verse refers to. How do you know if you love God – if you are in relationship with God? Do you believe that God is holy? That He is the great creator? Do you believe that all humanity sins – that you sin – that you are not holy and that God cannot allow anything unholy into His presence? Do you believe that God sent His son, Jesus, to die for your sins – and that He raised on the 3rd day because He has power over death? Have you asked Jesus to be the front center of your life? If so, you are a person who loves God. God loves and cares for His people.


Secondly – those “who have been called according to his purpose.” Being a child of God doesn’t just mean only that you are a child of God – God has a purpose for you being in His family. There is relationship. Now, suppose and earthly father is quite rich and has many children. Those children could, due to their earthly father’s bank account, sit around and have fun and do nothing; however, a loving father gives his children jobs to do - He gives them a purpose. God does this. Everything that occurs in life will eventually bring about the glory of God. He has given you a purpose – a job to do. If you are a child of God, He has a purpose and a plan for your life. Part of His purpose in my life has been to encourage women, especially women who have suffered the loss of babies in their lives. He equipped me for this purpose by allowing me to experience four losses. It takes time, but for His children, He eventually works out hardship for good. Claim that promise right now!


So, now we know who it is that claim the promise of Romans 8:28. If you are still wondering if this promise is for you, I encourage you to check out this site here to go through the plan of salvation. I encourage you to seek out a friend, a pastor, a church who is committed to the Bible as being God’s Word and to ask questions about becoming part of God’s family – accepting Christ as your Savior.


Next we will look at the first of four promises for those who are in God's Family - four points of hope which you can look towards in your grieving. Please know that your grieving is close to my heart and I am lifting you up to the Lord in your grieving. I encourage you to dig into His Word and to choose one verse to put around your house to focus on - if you'd like some examples, you can look at my posting on verses of hope here. And I encourage you to start memorizing Romans 8:28.


No comments:

Post a Comment