Saturday, May 30, 2009

Broken Road

In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps. Proverbs 16:9

What does "broken" mean? I looked up the definition of "broken" and found the following definitions:

  • reduced to fragments; fragmented
  • changing direction abruptly
  • fragmentary or incomplete
  • interrupted, disrupted, or disconnected
  • weakened in strength, spirit

Broken is from the perspective of the person who is deciphering the situation. From my perspective, when my husband and I experienced our losses, our situation was broken. I could only see a tiny part of the big picture for my plan. In my eyes, death meant brokenness. Loss of dreams and expectations meant brokenness. I felt fragmented. I felt weakened in spirit. I felt broken. Are you feeling that way today? If so, let's look at the anchored hope that God has for you in your broken road.

God plans our steps as Proverbs 16:9 tells us. God knew the road my husband & I would take on our journey towards children. He had a master plan - it wasn't the plan I would have planned, but as I look back on the road, it's an even better plan than I could have imagined. He has grown me in my faith greatly. He has equipped me for ministry to others. He has given me a purpose and a great plan. He is abundantly good. But I would not be where I am now if it were not for the "broken" road I've been on in the past.

Do you feel broken today? God is there to listen to your broken heart. Psalm 34:18ays "The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." God will bless your broken road. Look to Him and to His Word. He sees the big picture - He has a master plan - He will restore the time of grief - I have felt that restoration personally. Here is some scripture that speaks to me in a powerful way:
25 -27 "I'll make up for the years of the locust,
the great locust devastation— Locusts savage, locusts deadly,
fierce locusts, locusts of doom, That great locust invasion
I sent your way. You'll eat your fill of good food.
You'll be full of praises to your God, The God who has set you back on your heels in wonder.
Never again will my people be despised. You'll know without question
that I'm in the thick of life with Israel, That I'm your God, yes, your God,
the one and only real God.
Joel 2:25-27 The Message

God's ways are not our ways. God's plans are not our plans. And I praise God that my agenda isn't His agenda. His plan is abundantly better. Yes, He has allowed a broken road in your life. It's ok to grieve. But don't give up that anchored hope that He has an abundant plan for your life. He will take that broken road and lead you to a deeper faith in Him - to lead you to a life that He has for you. A life that is abundantly good.

Here is a song I came upon today which speaks to me - may it remind you of God's plan for your life - that He determines your steps and has allowed you down the broken road that leads you straight to Him and to His abundant life for you.


Bless the Broken Road by Selah

I set out on a narrow way, many years ago
Hoping I would find true love, along the broken road
But I got lost a time or two
Wiped my brow and kept pushing through
I couldn’t see how every sign, pointed straight to you

Every long lost dream led me to where you are
Others who broke my heart, they were just northern stars
Pointing me on my way, into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
And led me straight to you

I think about the years I spent, just passing through
I’d like to take the time I lost, and give it back to you

But you just smile and take my hand
You’ve been there, you understand
It’s all part of his grander plan, that is coming true

Every long lost dream, led me to where you are
Others who broke my heart, they were just northern stars
Pointing me on my way, into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
And led me straight to you

Now I’m just rolling home
Into your loving arms
This much I know, is true
That God blessed the broken road
And led me straight to you
That God blessed the broken road
And led me straight to you






3 comments:

  1. I just found your blog tonight. It's one of those hard-to-sleep nights for me.

    I just wanted to tell you how much your blog blessed me tonight. We lost our middle daughter 5 years ago. I defintely have more good days than bad now. But sometimes, as I am sure you know, I just Malorie soooo much and would love to give her a big hug tonight!

    Mal was almost 14 when she was killed instantly in a car accident.

    My best friend's daughter just miscarried. She is only 26 and having such a difficult time. Are there any books you would recommend? I would like to get her something.

    Grace 2 U,
    natalie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Natalie, Praise God for the comfort of His Word and for His living hope. I am sorry to hear that you lost your daughter at age 14. I cannot imagine the pain you must have gone through and still go through. I am praying for you - praying for you to see and fell God's comfort in your grieving. I am also praying that you are seeing God giving you opportunities to minister to others who are walking that same broken road you have been on in this journey of grief.

    Your request for a book title has prompted me to write a posting on books - I am planning on doing that now, (Lord willing I get no interruptions right after this) - in addition to a book, I highly recommend a beautiful ornament my friend Alice sells - you can find it at http://www.aliceart.net/products.php?cat=29

    I am praying for you and for your friend's daughter who miscarried. Psalm 55:22 "Cast your cares on the Lord and He will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops - just realized I misspelled "feel" and accidently typed "fell" above.

    ReplyDelete